麻豆传媒高清

Academics

麻豆传媒高清

At a Glance

Gallaudet At A Glance

Shaping the Signing Ecosystem

For over 150 years, our mission has been to empower deaf and hard of hearing communities globally. This mission lives through Gallaudet鈥檚 position as a space where the vitality of the deaf experience and vibrancy of sign language thrive.

By working for the greater good of our students and community, we believe we can create a better world. Together.

first annual-international day of sign languages group photo

From Start to We鈥檙e Not Finished

Since President Lincoln signed the legislation that broke ground on establishing a school for the deaf and hard of hearing, we remain the world鈥檚 only liberal arts university for deaf and hard of hearing students.

Formal recognition of ASL as a Language

As a result of research by William Stokoe, a longtime professor of English at Gallaudet, and the support of two deaf colleagues, Ms. Dorothy Sueoka Casterline, ’58 and Mr. Carl-Gustaf Croneberg, ’55, the study of ASL linguistics was established.

Deaf President Now Movement

The Deaf President Now (DPN) movement, which happened in 1988, has been synonymous with continuous efforts to improve the lives of deaf and hard of hearing people everywhere. It led to the appointment of the university鈥檚 first deaf president and instilled a sense of pride and accomplishment in deaf and hard of hearing people worldwide.

Deaf Leadership

The university’s executive leadership team is predominantly deaf. Besides President Cordano, the chief of staff and the chief academic, bilingual, communications and undergraduate admissions, financial, legal, and operating officers are deaf. The dean of student affairs and the Clerc Center chief academic officer are also deaf. The majority of executive-level appointees are women. This ensures that the university’s leadership closely resembles the student body.

We Are Becoming

In 1864, President Abraham Lincoln signed the legislation authorizing the establishment of a college for deaf and hard of hearing students in Washington, D.C. We’ve grown a lot over the centuries and continue to evolve into our future.

See our progress over the early 1800s.

Play Video

1857

The Columbia Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and Blind was incorporated in 1857, with Edward Miner Gallaudet serving as the school鈥檚 president.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1864

The National College for the Deaf and Dumb was established seven years later in 1864 with the signing of its charter by President Lincoln.

1865

The National Deaf-Mute College became the name of the college in 1865, when blind students were transferred to the Maryland Institution for the Blind. This name remained in effect until 1893.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1865

The Columbia Institution for the Deaf and Dumb became the corporate name of the greater institution in 1865, which included both the National Deaf-Mute College and the Primary Department.

1885

The Kendall School became the name of the Primary Department in 1885, honoring Amos Kendall, the philanthropist who initially donated the land for the establishment of the school.

1894

Gallaudet College became the name of the college in 1894, and it remained so until 1985. This renaming honored the Rev. Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, father of Edward Miner Gallaudet.

1911

The Columbia Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and Blind was incorporated in 1857, with Edward Miner Gallaudet serving as the school鈥檚 president.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1954

Gallaudet College became the corporate name in 1954.

1969

The Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD), authorized by Congress in 1966, opened on campus in 1969.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1970

The Kendall Demonstration Elementary School (KDES) became the name of the Kendall School in 1970 when President Richard Nixon signed Public Law 91-597.

1986

The Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD), authorized by Congress in 1966, opened on campus in 1969.

Current

Today, the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center comprises KDES and MSSD. Its mission is to improve the quality of education provided to deaf and hard of hearing students across the United States.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1857

The Columbia Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and Blind was incorporated in 1857, with Edward Miner Gallaudet serving as the school鈥檚 president.

1864

The National College for the Deaf and Dumb was established seven years later in 1864 with the signing of its charter by President Lincoln.

1865

The National Deaf-Mute College became the name of the college in 1865, when blind students were transferred to the Maryland Institution for the Blind. This name remained in effect until 1893.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1865

The Columbia Institution for the Deaf and Dumb became the corporate name of the greater institution in 1865, which included both the National Deaf-Mute College and the Primary Department.

1885

The Kendall School became the name of the Primary Department in 1885, honoring Amos Kendall, the philanthropist who initially donated the land for the establishment of the school.

1894

Gallaudet College became the name of the college in 1894, and it remained so until 1985. This renaming honored the Rev. Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, father of Edward Miner Gallaudet.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1911

The Columbia Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and Blind was incorporated in 1857, with Edward Miner Gallaudet serving as the school鈥檚 president.

1954

Gallaudet College became the corporate name in 1954.

1969

The Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD), authorized by Congress in 1966, opened on campus in 1969.
privateHistory Photograph Collection

1970

The Kendall Demonstration Elementary School (KDES) became the name of the Kendall School in 1970 when President Richard Nixon signed Public Law 91-597.

1986

The Model Secondary School for the Deaf (MSSD), authorized by Congress in 1966, opened on campus in 1969.

Current

Today, the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center comprises KDES and MSSD. Its mission is to improve the quality of education provided to deaf and hard of hearing students across the United States.

Visit us

Can鈥檛 visit in person? No problem!
Visit Gallaudet on a virtual tour of our beautiful campus, facilities, and residence halls from the comfort of your own home.

Campus Landmarks at a Glance

Chapel Hall

Built in 1870, Chapel Hall was once the main hub of the university, serving as a chapel, auditorium, exhibit center, and dining hall. This picturesque High Victorian Gothic building is on the National Park Service National Register of Historic Places.

College Hall

Completed in 1877, College Hall was the main academic building and dormitory for male students. This is now the main administration building.

Edward Miner Gallaudet Residence

Also known as House one, this 35-room Victorian Gothic mansion was built in 1869 for the university's first president, Edward Miner Gallaudet.

Peikoff Alumni House

When this gymnasium, affectionately known as "'Ole Jim," was built in 1881, it was considered one of the finest in the nation and boasted what is possibly the first indoor swimming pool in the country. Learn more about 'Ole Jim'

Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Alice Cogswell statue

One of the early works of renowned sculptor Daniel Chester French, this statue depicting the special bond between teacher and student that revolutionized deaf education around the world, was a gift from the National Association of the Deaf in 1889.
Previous slide
Next slide
United States map

privateRegional Centers

Gallaudet鈥檚 Regional Centers support our undergraduate and graduate programs by providing resources from the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center for outside training programs, workshops, conferences, youth programs, technical assistance, and consultation to our communities.
Our Regional Centers

East: Northern Essex Community College, Haverhill, MA

Midwest: Austin Community College, Austin, TX

West: Ohlone College, Fremont, CA

South: Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, Talladega, AL

A Consortium of Universities

Gallaudet is proud to be a part of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area with 28 other universities.
Our Partners Include:
George Washington University logo
Howard University logo
georgetown university logo
American University logo
Catholic University of America logo